Welcome to The Wembley Store


The Wembley Store
305, Republic Street,
Valletta, VLT1110
Malta

Tel: (00356) 2122 5147
Fax: (00356) 2124 1992
Email: info@thewembleystore.com

Wembley Store * Our Heritage

In1924 The Wembley Store, a charming shop specializing in luxury food, was first opened by an enterprising and dedicated young man, Emanuel Gauci, in the centre of Valletta. The Wembley Store name was inspired by the British Empire Exhibition, which happened to be held at Wembley that same year.

Emanuel's new store set about offering only the best foods that industry had to offer at the time, and because of the refined quality and extensive variety, The Wembley Store was an instant success, even becoming a landmark and favoured meeting place for Maltese and British.

During the Second World War, just across the street the Royal Opera House was bombed – naturally the explosion also damaged The Wembley Store, but the disaster didn't deter Emanuel from continuing to serve his customers.

In1946, after the War, the store was renovated and Joseph, Emanuel's son returned from an apprenticeship he had held at Harrods of Knightsbridge, London to join his father in business. Joseph expanded The Wembley Store and continued to build upon his father's reputation. He went on to form a company under the name of Wembley Stores Co Ltd. in 1972 and today Joseph's two sons, Noel and Christopher continue their family's legacy, running The Wembley Store to ever higher standards with quality and refinement still at the heart of the business.

Over the last 85 years The Wembley Store has built relationships with Fine Food manufacturers and traders including the World's largest corporations as well as small family-run businesses. Today's customers benefit from the experience of three generations of consistency and reliability, and a hand-picked mix of international and local, traditional and modern quality products to cater for a variety of lifestyles and tastes. We're continuing an excellence, while maintaining the reasonable prices that were always part of The Wembley Store principles. The recent store refurbishment respects the family's tradition as well as paving the way for the future.    

An exclusive selection of food products displayed inside the store in 1924 You could always count on finding the top brands in our store.
Display of fine wines on the first floor. An even larger selection can be found today in our recently upgraded wine cellar. Fresh food was always a high priority.
Our connection with pet care products and breeders goes back over 80 years. The beautiful wooden facade destroyed. Extensive damage can be seen along South Street.  British officers and sailors queue up alongside locals wearing traditional costumes and brave faces.
Debris from the Royal Opera House lies along Republic Street. Despite the damage sustained the store continues to serve it's customers. Victory Day 6th June 1946. You can see the store boarded up after sustaining bomb damage.  This did not stop us from serving the public throughout the second world war.
The store after being refurbished in 1946. The newly refurbished post-war facade that lasted over 60 years.
An exclusive selection of food products displayed inside the store in 1924
You could always count on finding the top brands in our store.
Display of fine wines on the first floor. An even larger selection can be found today in our recently upgraded wine cellar.
Fresh food was always a high priority.
Our connection with pet care products and breeders goes back over 80 years.
The beautiful wooden facade destroyed. Extensive damage can be seen along South Street. British officers and sailors queue up alongside locals wearing traditional costumes and brave faces.
Debris from the Royal Opera House lies along Republic Street. Despite the damage sustained the store continues to serve it's customers.
Victory Day 6th June 1946. You can see the store boarded up after sustaining bomb damage. This did not stop us from serving the public throughout the second world war.
The store after being refurbished in 1946.
The newly refurbished post-war facade that lasted over 60 years.